Reading – Book One and Book Two of the Rousseau
1. “Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains”. What does R mean here? How are we in chains?
2. What is the general will?
3. What are R’s views on property? How do they compare to Locke’s?
4. Under what circumstances can the general will appear to go bad? What do you think of this argument?
5. How does the sovereign entail equality?
6. Why do we need laws of justice?
7. Who makes the laws? (The answer is in the middle of pg 303 – but what does R mean by this?)
Can laws be unjust?
8. What qualities should the legislator have? Is this realistic?
9. What methods can the legislator use? (See pg 304) Why?
10. What should be the goals of every system of legislation? What do you make of this claim?